St Stephens Fawcett St

See Also St Annes

 

 

St Stephens Memorial

 

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

Harry Foers personal memorial

Close up of inscription on the Cross

 

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield


The Church has three War Memorials.

On the south side of the nave is a beautiful white marble tablet erected by Charles Percy and Lily Styring in memory of their son, Frank Rusby Styring. In the memorial the donors generously associate with their son the names of twenty-three other members of S. Stephen’s congregation whose names are given, and also three of his school friends ‘who gave up their young lives freely and courageously in the Great War, 1914-1918, for the cause of righteousness, justice and freedom.’

In the Churchyard facing Fawcett street is a massive stone cross fifteen feet high with the inscription : ‘ To the glorious memory of those parishioners and members of St. Stephen’s who fell in the War 1914-1919. Their names are on the Roll of Honour in the church.’

In the Church porch is a large oak memorial on the panels of which are inscribed the names of 240 men who fell. The two last-named cost £222. The cleaning and repair of the memorials are secured by a small endowment.

In the Parish Room is a carved oak tablet erected by their fellow-members in grateful memory of seventeen members of the Young Men’s Society who laid down their lives in the Great War.’

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour


We are not 100% certain that this plaque belongs at St Stephens, it may be St Annes Hoyle Street, but Odom alludes to 'A White Marble Plaque' at St Stephens but the numbers dont add up.

Click here to view the names on the Roll of Honour

The images below are of a four page programme which was issued to attendees at the unveiling and dedication of the parish war memorial at St Stephen’s Church in Sheffield. The dedication was held on Sunday July 11th 1920 at 3.00pm, with the unveiling being done by Mr C.P Styring, President of the Sheffield branch of the British War Graves association.

As well as listing the names of more than 200 young men from the parish who were killed during the first world war, the programme, the programme documents the running order of the day and which readings and hymns occurred. The programme also documents who made each reading, making it possible to say who was involved in the day.

 

 

 

© 2014 Copyright Dean Hill and Stuart Reeves